Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Racism, Sexism, Prejudice and Stereotypes

Part deux
On the morning of the 23rd, I went to the base and as usual there is always a new driver signing with the company. In this case, it was a Haitian male. As we were having a conversation, (lets call her) Mary passes by and appears to recognize the new recruit. She greets him cheerfully and he responds coldly or rather unenthusiastically. Mary goes on her business. So the new driver and I have a conversation.

Moi: Do you know who that is
L'homme: No
Moi: Well, she runs this place
L'homme: I thought Ahmed does
MOi: Ahmed is the manager but Mary owns the base, so you better be enthusiastic next time you talk to her if you want to work in this town, I mean base.

I will tell you, I myself was not as unenthusiastic as this chap, but my first encounter could have been better had I known she ran the joint. Nonetheless, when she found out that I came from the continent, Mary told me that she had been to Kenya and was in Senegal every year for the past 5 years. If anything, she would be retiring in Senegal. I did urge her to visit Southern Africa. Tourism is probably my 'thang'. Mary and her hubby are from Korea, I actually have to find out which of the Korea's they are from cause I forgot.

To do list: Is it the South or North, have to find out

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 2, 2007 at 3:31 PM , Blogger pandave said...

so cabbie dearest, are you confessing to us that you are a sexist? what is your penance, missy? have you sworn to treat men and women the same from now on?

or maybe we just start with is it north or south korea?

 
At May 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM , Blogger dearcabbie said...

I have sworn to treat everyone equally though it is hard. As I drive, when someone makes some mistake and I see who it is, I think it's no wonder.

Well I will get back to you as to where North/South

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home