Monday, April 23, 2007

Racism, Sexism, Prejudice and Stereotypes

Part 1
(4/17 .. 12am) I am double parked on church avenue waiting for a pick up. So an Ivorian from my company triple parks to ask for the quickest way onto the Brooklyn Bridge ( which by the way was a right, a right and then a sharp left and you are on it). He must be a beginner I thought to myself. He had suddenly stopped in front of a minivan. The driver of the van was holding the horn in as good amount of time as I gave him the directions. One can only imagine how annoying that was.

My mouth had to say something, one of those involuntary blurts, "that wasn't necessary you know. Why would you do that", at which point I realized it was a middle aged Asian woman. She gave me a finger and drove off. I laughed cause I didn't see that coming. Even if I had seen it coming, I would have laughed. I havent heard of Asian people 'flipping the bird'. Only Blacks, Whites and Latinos.

When I get home I call my friend Lindie about the "flipping of the bird". She said I had to be careful what I say to people, they may think I was targeting them since the Virginia Tech shooting had just occured. She was right even though that was farthest from my mind. To the 'bird flipper', I may be prejudiced, racist, or other (wow).

3 Comments:

At May 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM , Blogger pandave said...

lol! i don't know but at that point i think bird flipper was thinking - what's with this town meeting? where do you think you are - altanta?

 
At May 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM , Blogger pandave said...

teehee ATLANTA!!!

 
At May 10, 2007 at 3:59 PM , Blogger dearcabbie said...

some say Atlanta some say altanta,
same difference

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home